Pirate Nurse Alumni Spotlight — Dr. Diona Martyn

Dr. Diona Martyn

Dr. Diona Martyn
PhD, RN, PHNA-BC

Year(s) you graduated from the ECU College of Nursing: BSN — Fall 2000Current Professional Title: Nurse Consultant

Name of your organization: U.S. Government Accountability Office

What part of your job most makes you feel like you’ve made a difference?
My job gives me the opportunity to make a difference related to national health policy issues. I am able to leverage my nursing skills and experience to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of various federal government programs.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at The ECU College of Nursing?
My favorite memory is of Dr. Eason explaining to us the importance of giving IM injections correctly along with the adverse effects of giving IM injections incorrectly. She showed us pictures of patients impacted by nursing mistakes and those pictures are embedded in my mind.

In what way have you most changed since you graduated from ECU?
My views related to understanding nursing theory along with other theoretical frameworks have changed. I have a better understanding of the relationship between nursing practice and theory.

How did the College of Nursing prepare you for your career?
ECU SON* provided a strong foundation which gave me the confidence to make good nursing decisions, work with various providers, and serve as a patient advocate.

*Editor’s note: The ECU College of Nursing was formerly known as the ECU School of Nursing until 2007

Any advice for future nurses?
Don’t place any limits on your nursing education and career! Nursing touches every aspect of life. Therefore, sky’s the limit!

Do you know a Pirate Nurse who would make a great Alumni Spotlight? Email nursing@ecu.edu with the subject line “Alumni Spotlight”!