Why Study Abroad?
Dr. Madeleine Leininger, a nursing pioneer in global and cultural health, best answers the question, “Why study abroad?” ——–
“To be effective in tomorrow’s world, it is imperative that nurses have a broad, in-depth knowledge about several different cultural groups they will undoubtedly be helping, so that they will know how to make the appropriate culturally based nursing care intervention.”
ECU nursing students who have returned from study abroad have shared the benefits they gained from the experience. Hettie Peele said, “I never dreamed this trip would ever be possible. It has changed my life forever.” Other benefits noted by students:
- Increased tolerance for cultural differences
- Enhanced problem solving skills
- Greater flexibility
- Increased capacity to adapt to new situations and places
- An increased awareness of global issues
- Enhanced foreign language skills
- An enhanced sense of career path
Study Abroad Opportunities
You can support faculty or students in these vital transcultural experiences by gifts to established endowments! Contact our Director of Development.