Study Abroad Requirements
- Student in good academic standing in a statement from the academic advisor or program director.
- Travel Health Insurance
Student Medical Evaluation
Each student will be seen by a medical provider/travel clinic for pre-trip advice about the prevention of personal health problems and to receive country appropriate immunizations and malaria prophylaxis. The Brody School of Medicine has a Travel Clinic as well as some NC county health departments as well as private travel clinics.
During the Travel Clinic visit, the student will undergo the following:
- Vaccinations appropriate for the country(s) to be visited
- Placement of a tuberculin skin test (PPD) if not done within the previous 12 months
- Prescription for medication for the prevention of malaria (if appropriate)
- Receive an International Certificate of Vaccination (should be kept with passport when traveling)
- If the student is or becomes ill upon return the student must be evaluated by the Travel Clinic physician.
- Six weeks after returning to the USA the student must return to the Travel Clinic to have a post-trip PPD placed and read.
Students may e-mail the Travel Clinic physician for advice and consultation should they become ill in country.
Scholarships are competitive so apply as soon as you know you are going to e traveling abroad.Simple effective strategies:
- Work as team to earn money; bake sales, car wash, progressive dinner, etc.
- Ask all gifts you receive be money gifts that you will use for study abroad
- Seek money from civic clubs, organizations, religious institutions; the Rotary Club, Kiwanis, Civitan, Professional Women’s clubs, local Chamber of Commerce in your home town; offer to provide a presentation upon your return.
- Investigate scholarships offered by nursing organizations in which you are a member
- ECU Office of Financial Aid-tuition
- Pell Grant recipients are eligible for federal scholarship; meet with student financial aid
- Federal student loan recipients are eligible for an additional loan; meet with student financial aid
- Sigma Theta Tau, Beta Nu (if you are a member)
- East Carolina Scholars: (252-328-6373)
- ECU-CON Scholarship
- Sarah’s Wish Foundation
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program: Sponsored by US Department of State & Cultural Affairs, for undergraduate students and those receiving Federal Pell Grants or US citizens who are planning to study abroad; must begin the application one full semester before their study abroad program begins.
- Foundations for Global Scholars (must be US citizen):
- Foundation for Global Scholars General Scholarship-$500.00-$1000.00
- STA Travel Scholar Award $2500.00
- Global Links Learning Abroad Internship Scholarship-$1000; GPA 3.0
- Banks Family Scholarship for future leaders $1000.00; GPA 3.0
- Go Abroad!
- Nurse Educational Funds, Inc.
- Diversity Abroad
- Information on health issues in your desitnation country; visit the Centers for Disease Control website.
- Information on the history, culture and current political situation in your destination country, visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- The ECU Office of International Affairs provides information about preparation for departure to your destination country.
Travel Abroad Orientation Guide
Orientation Guide Provided by ECU Office of Continuing Studies.