Transfer and Prerequisite Courses
All undergraduate intended majors must complete certain ECU general education requirements as well as College of Nursing prerequisites.
Required General Education & Prerequisites
To be eligible to apply, intended majors must have completed all or be enrolled in final general education and prerequisite courses in the semester they apply to the major. The following courses can be taken at ECU, a community college, or a regionally accredited college or university.
NOTE to accelerated second-degree seeking baccalaureate students: Your general education courses are met through completion of your first bachelor’s degree. Science courses must be taken within the past five years.
- English Composition – 6 semester hours
- College Algebra, 3 semester hours
- Chemistry, (general, organic and/or biochemistry) – 7 semester hours
- Anatomy and Physiology (with labs) – 8 semester hours
- Microbiology (with lab) – 4 semester hours
- Health – 2 semester hours
- Physical Activity and Fitness – 1 semester hour
- Introduction to Sociology – 3 semester hours
- Introductory Psychology – 3 semester hours
- Developmental Psychology – 3 semester hours
- Nutrition – 3 semester hours
- Ethics – 3 semester hours
- Statistics (mathematics or psychology) – 3 semester hours
- Humanities and Fine Arts Electives – 9 semester hours
- Global Diversity Elective – 3 semester hours
- Writing Intensive Elective (in addition to 6 hrs of English Comp) – 3 semester hours
Academic credits from other regionally accredited institutions are typically accepted by ECU if a grade of C or higher is earned. There is no time limit for acceptance of academic credits. Advanced Placement (AP), credit by examination and the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) are other ways to meet these requirements.
- Students will receive placement credit for HLTH 1000 and KINE 1000 if they can present a valid, unrestricted license to practice as a RN.
- A nursing course taken in an Associate Degree of Nursing (ADN) program will meet the Nutrition requirement.
- Includes ethics and at least one course must be from the humanities area and one course from the fine arts area. Humanities courses include ethics, literature, philosophy, and religion. Fine arts courses include art, dance, music, speech, and theater.
- Please check with CON academic advising regarding this requirement.
The resources below are recommended tools prospective students can use to unofficially determine potential transferability of credit completed at other institutions. It is important to understand that Undergraduate Admissions and the Registrar will complete the official processing of submitted transcripts after students apply to the university for admission.
- College of Nursing Curriculum Guides: BSN, RN to BSN or Accelerated Second-Degree BSN
- The following courses have been approved by the North Carolina Community College Common Course Library and East Carolina University for transfer to ECU. Download the list of approved courses.
- Access the ECU Course Equivalency List to determine how or if a course taken at another institution may transfer to ECU.
- ECU undergraduate catalog: Use the “courses” link on the left menu to view ECU course descriptions.
If the above resources do not provide all the transfer information needed, the ECU College of Nursing offers the option for an unofficial review of a complete set of transcripts. Requests are typically processed in 4-6 weeks but during peak times of the semester response time may be extended.