Distinguished Alumni Award
The ECU College of Nursing Hall of Fame Board recognizes the accomplishments of our exemplary nursing graduates. Selection of the Distinguished Alumni is a way for the college to publicly acknowledge and express thanks to our alumni who have reflected great credit upon our college, and is one of the highest honors bestowed by the ECU College of Nursing.
Criteria for inclusion of Distinguished Alumni:
- Have a history of exceptional accomplishments in nursing practice, education, research, and/or administration.
- Be a College of Nursing Hall of Fame member and ECU alumna/alumnus.
- Have practiced as a registered nurse for a minimum of twenty years.
How to Works
The College of Nursing Hall of Fame Board of Directors solicits nominations for the Distinguished Alumni Award every year. Anyone may nominate. Nominators can be nurses, other healthcare professionals, healthcare organizations, Hall of Fame members, or any person. Inductees will be honored with a plaque at the annual spring Hall of Fame Ceremony hosted by the College of Nursing and the ECU Health Foundation. The awardee’s name will be added to the Distinguished Alumni list displayed at the College of Nursing. Distinguished Alumni are also recognized on the College of Nursing Hall of Fame web page. Monetary donations in support of a nominee are accepted, but not required. Such gifts support the merit-based Hall of Fame Scholarship only.
How to Nominate
All nominations are due by November 15th of each year. The CON Hall of Fame Board of Directors will review nominations and select a recipient who will be honored with the Distinguished Alumni Award at the Hall of Fame Ceremony. The selected recipient will be notified by Dean Akintade and the Hall of Fame Board Chair by the end of February.
- Deitra “Dee” Leonard Lowdermilk (BSN ’66), RN, RNC, PhD, FAAN
- Gale Adcock (BSN ’78), MSN, RN, FNP
- Diane Adkins Poole (BSN 81, MSN 88), MSN, RN, CHE
- The College of Nursing recognized the inaugural members of the Golden Lamp Society as recipients of the 2008 award.
- Phyllis N. Horns (BSN 69), PhD, RN, FAAN
- Helen M. Brinson (BSN 72, MSN 79), MSN, RN
- Frances Eason (MSN 79), EdD, RN,CNE, ANEF
- Debra Wallace (MSN 85), PhD, RN, FAAN
- Dianne Marshburn (BSN 77, MSN 86, PhD 07), PhD, RN, NE-
- Wendy Leutgens (MSN 87), RN, MSN
- Linda D. Hofler (MSN 87, PhD 07), PhD, RN, FACHE, NEA-BC
- Annette Wysocki (BSN 78, MSN 80), PhD, RN, FAAN
- Sue Collier (BSN 81, MSN 91), RN, FABC
- Mary Chatman (PhD 2012, MSN 1996, and BSN 1990), PhD, R.N.
- Kimberly B. Hardy (DNP 2017, MSN 2001, BSN 1991)
- Alta W. Andrews, RN, DrPH, MPH, BSN (ECU, 1974)
- Hazel Gay Moore (BSN 1972, MRC Allied Health Sciences 1976, MSN 1979)